Two things.  First, the other problem that I was seeing turned out to be an
Apache problem.  I switched to Apache 1.3.19 and my thread hang problems
went away.  That problem seemed to be a synchronization thing that occurred
if requests showed up too close together.

As for the thread pool stuff.  By default, Tomcat 3.2.x thread pools create
10 threads.  This can be changed using the min_spare_threads parameter.  The
pools will grow as needed up to the maximum number of threads allowed (100,
by default).  You can increase the maximum number of allowed threads using
the max_threads parameter.  See if this fixes your problem better than using
SimpleTcpConnector.