On Fri, 18 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:

> Correct, however some bright monkey decided to add <% %> into the JSP
> specification. So, if you disable that, you are breaking the specification.
> In other words, it is a bad design in the first place. That is the point.

Not using <% %> doesn't brake the spec - it is still a valid JSP page.
Not allowing user code ( servlets, user libs, user tags ) is indeed
breaking the specification - and a server that is doing that shouldn't
claim it supports "server side java" - but the same is true for turbine,
isn't it ? Yet the applications will still respect the standard - and will
work unmodified on any servlet container.

I find <% %> quite usefull for prototyping - but if you don't like it -
don't use it. I wouldn't tuch a server where it's disabled, or where all I
can do is use an obscure scripting language.

The developer can make the decision - not a smart monkey that thinks he
knows better.

Please don't tell me "mixing logic and presentation is the worst sin" -
most systems allow that ( HTML + javascript, perl, php, jsp, asp,
XSLT, servlets, and so on ). I don't know any successful system where this
is not allowed.