on 5/18/01 10:48 AM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Jon Stevens wrote:
>
>> Correct, however some bright monkey decided to add <% %> into the JSP
>> specification. So, if you disable that, you are breaking the specification.
>> In other words, it is a bad design in the first place. That is the point.
>
> Not using <% %> doesn't brake the spec - it is still a valid JSP page.

Preventing people from using <% %> breaks the spec. It is documented, read:
2.11.2

> Not allowing user code ( servlets, user libs, user tags ) is indeed
> breaking the specification - and a server that is doing that shouldn't
> claim it supports "server side java" - but the same is true for turbine,
> isn't it ?

Nope. Turbine doesn't require the use of user modifiable server side java in
order to do its job. You can simply put tags into the context and make them
available to the end users.

#1. Luckily you aren't developing web applications as your job.

#2. "obscure"?

> The developer can make the decision - not a smart monkey that thinks he
> knows better.

We aren't trying to work with java developers. We are trying to work with
designers and template engineers.

> Please don't tell me "mixing logic and presentation is the worst sin" -

It is. In all of the years that I have been doing web app development (about
6-7 years now), this is the most common complain that I have heard about.

> most systems allow that ( HTML + javascript, perl, php, jsp, asp,
> XSLT, servlets, and so on ). I don't know any successful system where this
> is not allowed.

    Velocity.

Yes Costin, it has taken many years to get to the point of what we have been
trying to get to, but it has finally happened. Eureka! Get used to it.

-jon

your pain to new levels. --Anonymous