well, i've never even looked at the iis connector, and i am by no means
an isapi expert, but what you describe does sound odd...  i was under
the impression that the isapi filter was doing all of the work.  didn't
know there was an extension involved as well.

perhaps you can, instead of mucking with the existing iis connector,
just create a new one that uses only HttpFilterProc.  that'd be cool
with me :)