Answer inline:

Yes, I was thinking the same about that variable. I had to go around that
to improvise a context restart (by using "<% { %>" and "<% } %>").

Your explanation sure helps understanding what functionality is intended
for each tag. I can take a look at that too. It is easier for me to
understand the taglibs than the rest of Tomcat.
=;o)

> > - and the fact that "restart.jsp" does not work as
> >   expected producing duplicate entries in the list
> >   presented by "contextList.jsp".
>
> That's a bug. I'll take a look, I wrote restart.jsp mostly as a test -
> to make sure all modules are cleaning up after themself ( i.e. you do
> restart.jsp few times and check the thread count, memory use, etc - it
> should stay constant ). If some contexts are not removed - that must be
> fixed ( please add a bug so I'll remember ).

I will try (adding the bug).

> > Looking at "org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager" did
> > not help a lot since its comments are not very clear
> > either, as is the case of its "shutdown()" method where
> > comments make me doubt about how cleanup should be done.
>
> Ok, what's not clear :-) ? As you know, I'm not very good at docs, but
> if you ask specific questions I may be able to answer ( and fix the
> comments along the way ).

No one seems to be very good at docs on Tomcat. =;o)

In this case I am talking about the comments in the method
    org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.shutdown()

In this method's source code there are 2 blocks of cleanup code that
were commented out. The fact that they were not just removed and the
nature of a comment:
  "remove the modules ( XXX do we need that ? )"
before one of those blocks makes me wonder how sure it is that they
are correct.

> > This restart thing probably has some relation with the
> > work Costin is doing on "EmbededTomcat" - maybe the
> > information missing is the same.
>
> It has some relation, in the sense EmbeddedTomcat must be able to
> restart ( and it's using the same calls as restart.jsp ).

Yes, the cleanup issues are related.

Specific questions, besides the above "ContextManager.shutdown()"
issue:
 - Why is it possible to add 2 or more contexts with the same name
   and base path? It is a cleanup issue that this happens with the
   "restart.jsp" code, but shouldn't this kind of duplication also
   be prevented?
 - To make a hot restart, it looks like modules should be restarted
   too. Is this correct?
 - When using "restart.jsp", previously removed contexts (using the
   admin pages) were not added back. Why?
 - Where are existing contexts detected and loaded? Is it on a
   module? And if yes, then which?

As you see from the above questions, I still ignore a lot.

Thanks a lot for your attention on this, Costin.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar