On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:24:01AM -0700, Henry Yeh wrote:

> yes. I analyzed the HTTP header that's being sent and received by the
> browser.
> If-Modified-Since messages are sent to tomcat, and we are dealing with
> static files here (javascript and images).
> So is tomcat doesn't have the '304 behavior' for static files ? It does
> send back 'last-modified' date information in the header, and that ALWAYS
> matches the 'If-modified-since' date. Are we looking at another tomcat
> date bug here ?

It's more of a feature that was never written.  Tomcat has no code to
handle If-Modified-Since (based on a quick grep through the source
code - I could be wrong).  You are welcome to write the code and apply
it locally.  I'm not sure if it'll make it into the 3.x branch as I
think it is frozen.  4.x is a possibility for inclusion, however.  (I
seem to remember that you are using 3.x.)

However, you'll have to be aware that jsp's and servlets must ignore
If-Modified-Since headers so the implementation can be tricky.
-- justin