On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Geoff Soutter wrote:

> while we are on a related topic, how about (re) considering this patch?

The patch below deals with only one of 33 places that the "catalina.home"
system property is referenced in the Catalina source code -- I think we'd
want to consider them all :-).

In order to support the idea of one install of Tomcat 4 being used for
more than one configuration, we have to decide which subdirectories of
$CATALINA_HOME should be made relative to some new location (specified by
a command line option or a different environment variable).  Here's my
proposed breakdown:

All of the following directories would be considered part of the "static"
part of a Tomcat 4 installation, and would remain relative to
$CATALINA_HOME (and thus shared by all uses):

    bin/
    classes/
    common/
        classes/
        lib/
    jasper/
    lib/
    server/

All of the following directories, unless configured to absolute paths,
would be resolved relative to a new $CATALINA_BASE directory (defaults to
$CATALINA_HOME if not set) that would be used to configure a new
"catalina.base" system property:

    conf/
    logs/
    webapps/
    work/

With this arrangement, all of the binaries and Java classes installed in
$CATALINA_HOME would be shared by all uses, but the configuration files,
log files, web applications, and work directories would be unique.

Does that sound like the right breakdown?

> geoff

Craig