----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Rescorla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2001 9:17 AM
Subject: Re: Portable SSL Support

> jean-frederic clere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Eric Rescorla wrote:
> > > A few issues remain:
> > > (I) Is portability to JDK 1.1.x desirable/a requirement? Both the
> > > existing JSSE code and my new code rely upon java.security.cert.*
> > > which was introduced in JDK 1.2. Both JSSE and PureTLS provide more or
> > > less complete (less in the case of JSSE) certificate interfaces but
> > > they're of course different and we need a common interface presented
> > > to Tomcat. If JDK 1.1.x is a requirement I'll have to add a new
> > > abstraction layer, which can't inherit from java.security.cert because
> > > that didn't exist in 1.1. This isn't a problem (Simple Matter of
> > > Programming) but is only worth doing if necessary.
> >
> > With JDK 1.1.x and AJP a null is returned.
> > With JDK 1.1.x should the CC be returned as a String? (I thought it
was).
> It's certainly not in the JSSE code I was porting. That code
> didn't even compile without JDK 1.2.x.
>
> from build.xml:
>       <exclude name="**/util/net/SSLSocketFactory.java"
>                unless="jdk12.present"/>
>
> In any case, we can do something far more sophisticated than a String
> if we want to, even with JDK 1.1.x.

If it wasn't mandated to be a java.security.cert.X509Certificate [] by
section 5.7 of the servlet spec :).

> > > (II) How to expose SSLSupport? Currently Request has access to
> > > SSLSupport but it's not obvious (at least to me) how best to
> > > expose this to the rest of Tomcat and to JSPs/servlets.
> >
> > You have to use request.getAttribute() in the JSPs/servlets.
> Right, but that doesn't mean that we have to expose the SSLSupport
> interface. Instead we could break out each individual property
> we cared about into it's own attribute.

To be consistant with 2.3 containers, I'd go with individually named
attributes.  That is what the application programmer will be expecting.  As
an example (from the 2.3 spec)
<spec-quote>
Table 3: Protocol Attributes
Attribute                                           Attribute Name
Java Type
cipher suite
javax.servlet.request.cipher_suite          String
bit size of the algo-rithm                javax.servlet.request.key_size
Integer

If there is an SSL certificate associated with the request, it must be
exposed by
the servlet container to the servlet programmer as an array of objects of
type
java.security.cert.X509Certificate and accessible via a ServletRequest
attribute of javax.servlet.request.X509Certificate.
</spec-quote>
> -Ekr
>
> --
> [Eric Rescorla                                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>                 http://www.rtfm.com/
>
> --
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.