Hi!

In the latest release notes (4.0.2-b2) I´ve seen the following:
-------------------
StandardContextMapper: '/' is now handled as a special case.
-------------------
I wondered if this indicates that tomcat now behaves spec
compliant regarding the "default-servlet". However, I found
out that this still seems to be  not the case:

Thus in my app "infovis" if I say:

 <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>MainServlet</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
 </servlet-mapping>

then requests should be handled as follows:

http://bla:8080/infovis/ => MainServlet
http://bla:8080/infovis/anyNONnexistingpath => MainServlet

http://bla:8080/infovis/EXISTINGPATH => Existing resource !!!

current tomcat IMHO violates the last rule, which is especially
irritating when servlets include links to static content like
pictures -> tomcat will in all cases where an URL relates to
a >existing static resource (i.e. not a valid servlet mapping!!!)<
to the default servlet.

Will this be fixed in the coming release !?

Thx
Peter