On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Carlos Quiroz wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:55:30 +0200
> From: Carlos Quiroz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Tomcat Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: JMX Support in Tomcat 4
>
> On Tuesday 12 February 2002 17:41, mark wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm one of developers of OpenJMX. We will be developing in OpenJMX an admin
> app for JMX applications inside web containers. I wonder whether Tomcat will
> be doing exactly the same (A general JMX admin app) or a specific admin tool
> for Tomcat only.

Hello Carlos,

The current thinking has been a Tomcat-specific tool.  My personal belief
is that it's really hard to make a high quality UI for an administrative
interface in a generic way (i.e. one that doesn't know anything about the
internal relationships between the components being managed) -- but I
would enjoy being proven wrong if you think it's feasible.  The response I
just sent back to Mark's question talks about some of the goals, and has a
pointer to the original design docs.

> Anyway I'd be interested to collaborate specially if it can benefit both
> OpenJMX and Tomcat

I'd welcome your help, and agree that this will benefit both communities.

> Regards
>
> Carlos Quiroz

Craig