> On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Remy Maucherat wrote:
>
> > What could be done is maybe to write a (complex) tag library, which
would
> > ease the process of writing admin pages which would manipulate MBeans.
Of
> > course, that's quite a bit harder than writing custom admin pages, so I
can
> > understand the rationale behind that from a dev schedule standpoint ;-)
> >

> To get such a tag library started, there's an "attribute" tag in the admin
> webapp (HEAD branch) that displays a named attribute from a named MBean.
> It would certainly make sense to abstract this out into a general MBean
> manipulation tag library (perhaps in jakarta-taglibs?).

Yes, that would be a good starting point.

The taglib is IMO the only satisfactory solution, as the application needs
to be able to decide of the LnF of the admin app, as well as how the beans
should be organized / presented (for example, the Tomcat admin webapp uses a
tree, but other applications may do something different altogether).

The only problem is that a significant part of the development would still
need to be done by the application (it's not a "your HTML admin interface in
5 mins" type of deal).

jakarta-taglibs looks like the right home for this, but I'd like to hear
from Carlos to know how he plans to implement it.

Remy