I merged the patches I wanted to merge in the 4.0.x branch. I left out the
patch for bug 7575 in the end, as it was a bit riskier. If you think it
should be merged anyway, I'll merge it.
So here's the release vote, as promised earlier.

I'd like to propose releasing 4.0.4 Beta 3, and since the number of changes
over 4.0.4 Beta 2 is small, to consider it a release candidate. As a
significant number of issues have been fixed since 4.0.2/4.0.3, it would be
a good idea to plan to release 4.0.4 Final soon after.

<ballot>
[ ] +1 Yes, and I'll help
[ ] +0 Yes
[ ] -1 No: