On Tue, 7 May 2002, jean-frederic clere wrote:

> > 1) What about moving scripts from jk/native to
> >    just jk ? It avoid duplicate between native
> >    and native2.
>
> That may bring problems: the configure.in normaly contains the files you want to
> generate.

IMHO autoconf is justified only for jk2/apache1.3 ( eventually ).
But if we decide to use it for apache2 and jni - then probably
that may be a good idea.

> > 2) What should be done for APR in Apache 1.3 ?
> >    Should we use external shared apr lib ?
>
> That is probably the best.

Building mod_jk without APR is another option here.
( i.e. only with socket and what was in jk1 ).

If we use apr, I think ( a bit strongly ) that
we should use exactly the same library as apache2 does.

APR libs should/could be installed in /usr/lib, /usr/include,
and considered 'system' ( like glib, qt, nspr, etc ).
If you build a non-threaded version, it shouldn't be
called libapr.so in any case.

Also I think the version that comes with Apache2's
binary is to be considered the 'reference' - since Apr
was not released independently, the apache2 package can
be considered as the 'dependency'.

> >    Should we use static build apr (like does webapp) ?
> >    In all case should the apr for 1.3 must be with
> >    or without pthread ?

Static apr may be a workaround, but I would avoid that if
possible. libapr.so should be a 'deterministic' entity,
if someone has a problem we should know he uses a certain
version.

> > 4) What about jni support ?
> >

> Costin is the one that knows.

It should use libapr.so, the one from Apache2 preferably.
libjkjni.so should be generated - it won't be used from
apache, but from java, and the same version of libjkjni
can be used with any server ( apacheX, iis, etc ).

In other words - you only compile libjkjni with Apache2
and APR, that's what java will use in all cases.