On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Kin-Man Chung wrote:

> Use of scripting varibles in nested tag never work before, so obviously
> no body uses it much.  I think the whole scripting variable in JSP1.2 is
> poorly designed, and not well understood.

The failures are from an app that worked perfectly fine with
jasper1, and with jasper2 ( up to 4.1.4 ).

And IMHO are very elementary use cases - 2 iterates and one
condition is not that infrequent.

> > How do we deal with nested tags of different type ? I don't have
> > a test case, but I assume someone may have a NESTED tag
> > 'foo' in 2 different tags, with different declared types ( String and
> > Integer ). The current generator seems to not create { },
> > and I'm not sure how this will work.
> >
> > ( no test case - but I'm sure you can find such tags )
> >

> That would not work, and would never be made to work, not only for
> nested case, but also for non-nested tags with AT_BEGIN scopes.
> I tend to think this falls into the user's reponsibility if she uses
> the same variable name for two different types, somewhat analogous to
> declaring two variables of the same name two different types in Java.

I'm lost here - wasn't NESTED supposed to define a lexical scoping ?
I don't see why this wouldn't work - are you saying it doesn't
work with jasper2, it didn't worked with jasper1, or is not
required by the spec ?

> Hopefully, there won't be a need for scripting variables anymore when
> expression language becomes available in JSP2.0.

:-)

Unfortunately JSP1.x will be around for a while, and jasper must support
it.