From: John Baker [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, July 01, 2002 8:33 AM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: Re: That Cookie thing

On Monday 01 July 2002 13:29, Tim Funk wrote:
> http://wp.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
>    OR
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2109.txt
>    OR
> http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2965.txt
>
> PATH=path
> Optional. The Path attribute specifies the subset of URLs to which
this
> cookie applies.

But as IE/Moz/Konqueror (anyone else fancy trying some others?) ignore
this,
would it be more useful to provide a default in some way so it isn't
ignored?
The chances of getting all those three to stick to the spec are low ;-)
Or
even a warning in the logs that your code is not likely to work?

Of course, normally I'd say "follow the spec", but sadly if your target
audience doesn't, there isn't really much you can do.

> John Baker wrote:
> > On Monday 01 July 2002 13:16, peter lin wrote:
> >>that's the problem with assumptions :)
> >>
> >>Actually I believe the W3C spec says the path will default to
directory
> >>the pages resides in. So that page /hello/greeting.jsp will have
> >>"/hello" as the path.  Only files under "/hello" can read the
cookie.
> >>Atleast that's my understanding of how cookie path is supposed to be
> >>set.  Some one correct me if I am wrong.
> >
> > Well a reliable source tells me that there is no w3c spec for
Cookies,

--
John Baker, BSc CS.
Java Developer, TEAM/Slb. http://www.teamenergy.com