On Monday 01 July 2002 13:53, John Trollinger wrote:
> I have to disagree with the default as well.. as that can be dangerous
> to someone who simply forgot to supply the path.. this could cause
> security issues with where the cookie can be read..  the way is
> currently works if you forgot to provide the path a you will find out
> quickly that something is not working in the same manor that you did and
> can fix it.

No, you don't find out quickly if you don't know what you're doing and you're
newish to web programming. You only find out if you've got a good knowledge
of web browsers and you realise that although path is optional, the majority
of browsers ignore it in some cases. For example, this problem only occurs if
a Cookie will be deleted (setting maxAge to 0) and it has no path. Even the
best web programmers will take some time to figure out that's wrong.

Therefore although a default is a bad idea, a warning should be provided
clearly in the logs that you've not provided a path, and although the
wishy-washy (noone takes any notice of) spec says that's ok, most browsers
will totally ignore it.

Therefore you've just made many developers very happy with you for providing
such a sensible warning.

John

--
John Baker, BSc CS.