Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> Costin Manolache wrote:
>
>> I'm in the middle on this one - but I would vote for Jean-Francois
>> proposal.
>>
>> Glen is right, it is possible to restrict individual managers
>> using the policy.
>> However as geenral programming it is better to keep the
>> doPrivileged block as small as possible - and have each individual
>> manager that needs to change the permission context
>> do that for the specific areas where this is needed, instead
>> of a global aproach.
>

> In general I agree, keeping the amount of code within a doPrivileged()
> block to a minimum is a good practice.  That makes it less likely that
> the code which calls a method which uses doPrivileged can compromise
> security.
> That is not the case for getSession() where the only thing passed to the
> method is a boolean for create and the Manager gets the JSESSIONID cookie
> from the request.
>
> Removing doPrivileged() from where it currently is will force alot of
> other work to be done.  And will then require anyone who implements a
> custom Manager/Store to wrap their code in doPrivileged() also.
>
> I don't see any security risks from the current implemenation, so why
> change it?
> If you can show me an exploit that this change would fix I would be
> all for it.

Eum...why waiting for a security issue (joke: we are not Microsoft ;-)
). Spending time trying to demonstrate a security hole will take as much
time as reducing the doPrivilege block. I understand your point but
still, I consider the doPrivilege block too large. And still, when
Tomcat is used as it is (with the default SecurityManager), the
doPrivilege block is *not* required. For a lot of Tomcat users, we are
forcing a doPrivilege block.....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only JDBCStore and FileStore needs to be
changed.  I volonteer to make the extra work.

-- Jeanfrancois