Costin Manolache wrote:
Remy has a point - the current code is not very clean, and doesn't
seem to be tested/maintained enough.

I use the ant tasks - and I have a feeling many other users of jspc
are doing the same.
Removing the CLI and keeping the basic functionality seems like a good idea.
"CLI" as in ...? Sorry, I'm not familar with this acronym.

For example compiling a jsp page outside a webapp can't work
in all cases - if it has includes, etc it needs to resolve, it needs taglib definitions from WEB-INF, etc. I can't see any
good reason to keep it if it's half broken by definition.
Right, I agree.

Also - compiling the java files is the job of <javac>, and the mapping and web.xml fragment generation can be more easily done using only the ant tasks.
Even though I see one advantage with including compilation to class
files in JSPC (simlicity, no need to set up Ant, which is not always
available in the web app developers environment), I wasn't aware of
the -compile option until this week (since it's not documented).
I'm okay with removing it and handle compilation in other ways.

I would go even further - since we are already using ant to compile the java to .class, it may be a good idea to make the
.jsp->.java task 'first class'.
Not sure I follow. If you mean to do this in addition to fixing
JSPC (with the -webapp option), it's okay with me.

In any case - the task is supported ( at least by me, it seems Henri is using it as well ).
If there are people who want to support the CLI and the other options - then we can keep them, but if not - I think it's better
to remove them or mark as unsupported.
See above.

Hans
--