> If you think using it for JSTL is okay, why wouldn't it be
> okay for other tag libraries? The same issues (if they are
> issues) apply to JSTL, don't they?

  I thought of it beeing done by the jasper-crew, i.e. being
part of "stock tomcat", so it could be assured that it is
working correct.

  The way I understand the proposal is that it *could* be some kind of
a replacement for a tag-library. So for conformity and interoperability
a programmer would have to implement the plugin *AND* the taghandler.
(And I extremely doubt that many will).

 I was involved in a discussion about a "precompile all JSPs in a
webapp"-functionality (which was wanted by *many* users). I was
willing to contribute to it, but the developers (Craig himself,
I think :) said that such a thing would not belong to a reference i
mplementation of a servlet-container. After he told me so, I agreed
with him, although I still would like to have  this feature. :) So
that was the reason why I posted my comments.

  As an application developer I would say: "YES! Give me that plugin-
feature!" since it would improve performance drastically. So, I like
the idea but I am not sure if such a thing would belong to "stock
tomcat".

anyway,
Peter