Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
>
>>>  From my review it looks like Tomcat 4 has always defaulted to
>>> unpackWARs=true.  I have no problem with that being the default.
>>> And it would not be good to change at this time since Tomcat 4
>>> has been released for quite a while.
>>
>>More importantly, it would break webapps which rely on the filesystem,
>>and would cause 1000 duplicates with blocker severity about
> "getRealPath
>>always returning null" to be filed ;-)
>
> I agree ;)  This is why I said I was NOT suggesting it be changed ;)
>
> Was it a conscious decision to make it true by default back when tomcat
> 4.0 came out?  Or just kind of happened?

IMO packed WARs are evil and shouldn't be ever used at runtime. They
increase the code complexity, reduce the ability to integrate with web
servers, fail if the code uses the file system.

Even if you can get an InputStream and avoid using the filesystem -
there are a lot of things that won't work - random access to files,
NIO, etc.

WAR is a _deployment_ format - just like RPM or PKG or install shield
.exe files. Nobody is running programs directly from the RPM or from inside
the uninstalled install shield application.

I would be pretty happy if packed wars will be deprecated or strongly
discouraged in 5.0 - but strongly -1 on changing the default.