Remy Maucherat wrote:

> Well, I indeed have a few things on my task list, including:
> - new static resource cache (the current one is inefficient both in
> terms of syncing and memory management)

Any chance you'll make this a bit more independent of the internals -
I tried to do a bit of refactoring, but you know the code best.

And maybe put it in commons. I don't know if you track it - but there
is a lot of interest in JNDI and the stuff that is in tomcat.

> - rewrite HTTP authentication using Coyote (this should be done in
> conjunction with the often talked about authorization refactoring, so
> that all realms support digest auth)

Yes, and maybe change the default realm to JAAS... If anyone has the time
to do the implementation.

>> +1 on extending the manager servlet to also display monitoring data,
>>  and to use the new JMX model - if 5.0 will use recommend using
>> JMX to control tomcat, the manager should be an example of that instead
>> of using the internal APIs.
>> /manager is also close to /server-status ( or /jkstatus ).
>
> I agree. On the implementation side, I'll start with a separate servlet,
> outputting either simple HTML or better XML (with client side XSL; that
> would allow parsing by tools).

Ok - but at least keep it part of the /manager webapp.
Simple XHTML is the best ( and fastest ), and if you want client-side
processing, you can do it on top of XHTML ( just include some "id" or
"class" attributes when you generate the XHTML - and XSLT can process it).
It's a very nice technique to keep things both REST and be able to
do XSLT or other programatic changes.

>> There are 3 JMX consoles available ( each JMX impl. has one ). A generic
>> console would be nice - but it doesn't belong to tomcat ( maybe in
>> commons).
>
> As I said, I do not want to make a generic console, just a page which
> displays an overview of the TC status.

+1.

>> For remote statistics - I added a small experimental remote-JMX mechansim
>> for mod_jk ( which obviously can't support direct JMX ), and I plan to
>> extend it and merge it in modeler.
>>
>> IMO any generic JMX effort should be in commons ( modeler or a different
>> component ).
>
> No, this is Tomcat specific stuff.

Yes - if you want to have a manager page similar with jkstatus or
server-info, it is tomcat specific.