This is a user question and should be posted on the tomcat-user list.

On a side note, the session is maintained either by a session cookie or by a session id at the end of each request. The server will keep your session going for the time specified in the web.xml. If the client "forgets" all about the session id by closing the browser down, then the session is dead (even if it is still on the server until it expires). Hard to say why your popup doesn't work. One idea could be to make sure the session is going already in the "root" window.

Martin

On Wednesday, August 6, 2003, at 07:48 AM, Paul Wallace wrote:

Also, I was under the impression that 'session' is good for the amount
of time specified in your configuration file, or until
session.invalidate();  is called?

Thanks

Paul.

That is according to the spec, The session only lives for the time of
the
application,closing your browser window, means that you are ending your
application

Filip

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Wallace [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2003 9:01 PM
To: Tomcat Developers List
Subject: window close session invalidate

Dear all, May someone enlighten me on why my session is being invalidated when I close a browser window? I am doing this in one of two ways -
the
application close icon on the top right of the window, or a simple:

Does anyone have any experience of this? The session is being killed
and
thus so is my app. I will submit this query to the user list, but
thought it appropriate for this list as I am getting the same result
from multiple instances of TC on different servers, implying it is not
configuration issue as first suspected.

Thanks

Paul.