Kurt Miller wrote:
From: "jean-frederic clere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kurt Miller wrote:

Ok thanks for the heads up, I've look briefly at wa_apr.m4 now. I've got

question or two.... I think there are two cases:

1) when --with-apr is specified
2) when --with-apr-include and --with-apr-lib are specified

In case one the apr src directory is given and jk2 builds apr using the
apr-build target in the native2 makefile. The apr-build target does a
./configure && make for apr when building jk2. When configuring jk2,
apr-config is not guaranteed to be available.

Right apr-config is not available before configuring apr.

The webapp connector required apr to be built from source for Apache13

and

configured apr while configuring itself. Should jk2 also make this
requirement?

Yes.

It appears the webapp connector did it to ensure the same
complier was used and that apr was configured without threads for

Apache13.

In the second case the apr src dir is not specified, so apr-config is

not

available again. The webap connector used it to get the lib name. I'm

not

sure what the best method for determining the lib name in this case.
Currently the the lib name is hardcoded to libapr.a for apache13 and
libapr-0 for apache2. Any suggestions?

find + awk? +++ NUMVERAPR=`find ${tempval} -name "*.la" | awk -F - '{ print $2 }' | awk -F

. '{

print $1 }'
APR_LDFLAGS="-lapr-${NUMVERAPR} -L${tempval}"
+++

Before I start making a patch, I'd like to make sure I've got the new
behavior nailed down...

It seems like there is some conflicting stuff going on. Apr may need to be
configured without threads at times (without for Apache13 on OpenBSD and
Apache2 on FreeBSD 4.7 (pre fork MPM)). When using --with-apr currently it
doesn't specify with or without threads while configuring apr. So it just
guesses and will likely be with threads at times it shouldn't be.

I'd like to add a new configure argument called --with-apr-threads that will
indicated if apr should be with or without threads. This argument will
ignored, unless -with-apr is also specified and will used to configure apr.
Not sure what the default should be.

It is possible to configure apr with --enable-threads=pthread or --enable-threads=system_threads.

Currently --with-apr-include and --with-apr-lib override --with-apr. So I'm thinking after all three arguments have been processed do the following if APR_BUILD is not empty: 1) For Apache13 and Apache2 get the compiler used by apxs. 2) configure apr with --enable-static --disable-shared (override compiler for Apache13 and Apache2) --with-threads or --without-threads based on the --with-apr-threads argument. 3) Use apr-config to get lib name.

In --with-apr-lib processing set the lib name using your find + awk
technique.

Does the above sound acceptable so far?

For Apache13 yes. For Apache2 no, Apache2 contains a compiled apr we must use this one. (And may be give an error when using --with-apr-include/-with-apr-lib/--with-apr and --with-apxs2).

Hummm, if neither --with-apr or --with-apr-lib is specified what do we do for the lib name (it may be there already for Apache2)?

-Kurt