From: "jean-frederic clere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Kurt Miller wrote:
> > Before I start making a patch, I'd like to make sure I've got the new
> > behavior nailed down...
> >
> > It seems like there is some conflicting stuff going on. Apr may need to
be
> > configured without threads at times (without for Apache13 on OpenBSD and
> > Apache2 on FreeBSD 4.7 (pre fork MPM)). When using --with-apr currently
it
> > doesn't specify with or without threads while configuring apr. So it
just
> > guesses and will likely be with threads at times it shouldn't be.
> >
> > I'd like to add a new configure argument called --with-apr-threads that
will
> > indicated if apr should be with or without threads. This argument will
> > ignored, unless -with-apr is also specified and will used to configure
apr.
> > Not sure what the default should be.
>
> It is possible to configure apr with --enable-threads=pthread or
> --enable-threads=system_threads.

Ok, I'll make it called --enable-apr-threads=<val>. If not specified, it
will just let apr configure take its guess.

> > Currently --with-apr-include and --with-apr-lib override --with-apr. So
I'm
> > thinking after all three arguments have been processed do the following
if
> > APR_BUILD is not empty:
> >     1) For Apache13 and Apache2 get the compiler used by apxs.
> >     2) configure apr with --enable-static --disable-shared (override
> >         compiler for Apache13 and Apache2) --with-threads or
> >         --without-threads based on the --with-apr-threads argument.
> >     3) Use apr-config to get lib name.
> >
> > In --with-apr-lib processing set the lib name using your find + awk
> > technique.
> >
> > Does the above sound acceptable so far?
>
> For Apache13 yes. For Apache2 no, Apache2 contains a compiled apr we must
use
> this one. (And may be give an error when using
> --with-apr-include/-with-apr-lib/--with-apr and --with-apxs2).

Ok, just for Apache13. For Apache2 give an error when --with-apr is
specified, but how should lib name be found if --with-apr-lib is not also
given with --with-apxs2? (Currently the lib name is hardcoded in
servers/Apache2/Makefile.in) I don't have Apache2 setup yet, so I can't
check it out myself. Maybe I should leave Apache2 changes till later or
someone else.