When I tested the deploy task, the behaviour I saw was that
the original
<code>docBase = ExpandWar.expand(host, war, contextPath)<code>;
failed to create any files at all in the webapp directory. The
root context _was_ displayed in the manager app but when I
tried to access it all I saw was a directory listing for the
webapp directory.

It was on this basis that I wrote the fix.

Mark