Hi,

>It is a little strange that noone from the apache team has stepped
>forward to clarify that these are fake... since they are being sent
>to an apache mailing list after all.

That depends on how you define "stepped forward."  We've identified
these as fake/virus emails early on.  There was never a news item posted
on www.apache.org or anything like that.  By and large, we rely on the
subscribers to these mailing lists (who are, given the context, assumed
to be individuals of relatively high computer literacy) to know how to
treat email worms.

Yoav Shapira

>The clues I had that it was a fake:
>1) Sent to an apache/jakarta mailing list... by apache.org.
>2) Really poor grammar in the message. (Ok, who am I kidding? ;)
>3) I started getting similar e-mails from my own domain. ;)
>
>But it's probably given more than a few people pause.
>-Paul
>
>Mark Roth wrote:
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I think the message itself is from a clever virus that is trying to
get
>> you to open the attachment.  I thought I saw another such email go by
my
>> Inbox the other day that was signed "The somethingelse.com team".
>>
>> Fortunately, us Linux and Solaris folk don't have to worry about such
>> things :)
>>
>> ---
>> Mark Roth, Java Software
>> JSP 2.0 Specification Lead
>> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>>

>> Michael McGrady wrote:
>>
>>> What is this about?  I am sure of one thing, I did not improperly
use
>>> anything.  I don't know what you mean about "resign[ing my]account
>>> information" either.  Since there was no attached file, I assume my
>>> security picked up an attempt to pass on a virus.  Anyone else
seeing
>>> these?
>>>
>>> Michael

and notify the sender.  Thank you.