To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, March 19, 2004 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Minimal HOWTO for jk2 2.0.4 - Was: [Fwd: Releasing JK
2.0.4]

--- Guenter Knauf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<<other content deleted>>

I would like to see some
feedback from those admins who have to install the connectors what

they would

prefer.

A quick start covering: - What to download - What to compile - Compatible Apache versions - Which folder to copy files into - What entries does Apache expect - What workers and MPM are and how we can configure them

thanks, Guenter.

-- Sriram

Well, given my recent trauma, oups experience, setting up mod_jk2, may I suggest a few things?

- A working configure script. Let me explain what I expect from a
configure script. It should check all requirements are met including
proper versions and not require more than necessary (for example, if
Berkley BD version 2.5 and up is fine, do not insist on version 4.0
because it may have some cascading effect on my system and if not
necessary, why should someone insist I upgrade 50% of the packages on
the system?)

- Working Makefiles. This is a side effect of a working configure
script. Given proper checking and identification of the system, the
proper Makefiles should be build. This include the appropriate list of
libraries I should link to in order to have working modules. To make
things clear, I should never get undefined symbols at runtime because
the Makefile never specified a complete list of libraries required to
resolve all the symbols in my module and the module has no hint on where
it should look for the undefined symbols to get them resolved. The
sysadmin is not supposed to be a developper (even if it happens it's not
always true) and don't expect him to manually edit the Makefile to make
it working with his system. If the configure cannot find the libraries,
it means they are not installed or the user didn't specified the correct
options to configure (library paths, if any) and it should be catch at
the configure step, not at runtime.

- A comprehensive guide of the configuration options (properties), not
necessarily something lengthy, but enough to figure out what is the
purpose of each configuration option and how it is used.

- Don't make any RPMS available if it is not possible to guarantee they
will provide a working system. Instead, with limited man-power and time,
I think it will be a better move to invest in a clean, documented,
straight forward building process with consistent results.

This should reduce drastically the number of redundant questions on the
Tomcat-user mailing list (including mines).

--

Daniel Savard

Tél: (450) 467-8014
Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]