Mladen Turk wrote:

Costin Manolache wrote:

Mladen Turk wrote:

Of course, no one is forced to participate in development, but everyone is welcome.
The only question is do we have enough juice to make it official.
AFICT, Remy, Henri and myself are in favor.
But frankly I see no reason for someone to object, cause it's open source after all, and it doesn't break nothing that already exists.

I'm not in favor, quite the contrary.

And I thing there are reasons to object - "doesn't break anthing that exists" is not the only criteria used in apache. "Is it the best solution ?" can be used sometimes.

I must disagree with you.
There has been previous talks about 'wasting resources', that looks just
like some corporate manager would talk. You can not stop people seeking other solutions, trying to build something
better. It's the compete opposition of what IMO ASF stands for.

At least in Apache httpd project - it seems they are not willing to accept solutions that "just work", they also try to find the best solution and take the long-term into account.

If I make a design flaw, and the entire project gets unusable, it will make it just something like mod_java, mod_warp, mod_jk and mod_jk2 are... Dead. Nobody will get hanged for that.

It's not as simple. Users will have to invest time in learning and setting up this new tool, etc.

I don't think the goal is to accumulate more mod_warp, mod_jk, mod_jk2 - but to learn from the past errors and do something better.

In any case - even if I'm no longer a very active tomcat committer, I think I can still -1 something that doesn't have a clear set of requirements, doesn't have a clear design that is able to support those features, doesn't have a configuration that is easy ( and by that I mean familiar for admins ), etc. You can ignore my vote if you want, but I'm pretty sure I am right.

What about free spirit, and creative mess, that produced something like
Apache2 and Tomcat.
Are we going to need to have a full set of requirements and marketing
analysis for each patch we make?

Well, both Apache2 and Tomcat ( even tomcat3 ) had some design and requirements ( == goals ).

And at least in apache2 I remember they did spent the time to discuss this and figure out the best design ( and quite a few "creative" solutions were not accepted ). Take a look at apache filters, or APR.

This is not "just a patch" ( and even if it was - I think it's perfectly reasonable to think about the long-term goals on each patch - and not add features just because we can ). Usually spaghetti is the imediate result of accepting every feature.