Shapira, Yoav wrote:

Hi,
A TOMCAT_5_0 branch was created at the time 5.0.27 was released. I'm
not gung-ho about making significant Tomcat 5.0 additions and
enhancements, given the advanced state of Tomcat 5.1 development. If
there's a showstopper, security, or spec-compliance bug than of course
it will be fixed and additional releases made.

I didn't know there was a branch already! Thanks - that's great.

As for the nature of the changes, the bug fixes are important fixes in the area of JSR 45 spec-compliance. I believe they affect all tools that use JSR 45 for debugging, not just NetBeans.

However, if you really want this strongly, feel free to submit patches
back-porting the CVS HEAD patches onto the TOMCAT_5_0 branch code, and
we'll look at them.

Thanks.

As for JDK 1.5 specifically: Tomcat 5.1 will support JDK 1.5 without
needing to modify anything. Tomcat 5.0 doesn't make that claim, but it
does let you modify parsers as you want using the standard endorsed
classloading mechanism. Of course I've already said that on the bug
report ;)

I guess there are two possible perceptions of this problem. One is that we should strive for the cleanest possible architecture, and have multiple releases each targetting a particular platform. The other is that there should be a single universal release that supports a range of platforms, and the architecture should be able to accomodate all of them. I prefer the latter approach, also because of the multi-user use case: if a single Tomcat installation (CATALINA_HOME) is used by multiple users (each having their own CATALINA_BASE), then the former approach does not work if each user has a different version of the JDK.

Hi,
Oh and BTW, definitely -1 on committing to regular monthly releases.
They'll come when they're ready: that's always been the process. And
"ready" itself is also ambiguously defined as a critical fix,
significant enhancements, large number of bug fixes, or a combination
thereof. If the average duration between releases for us has been 1
month, that's great, but it's a coincidence that I don't want to commit
to ;) There are far too many variables in our work for that.

Agreed, it is not reasonable to commit to regular release schedule (based on my own experience ;) In my mind, release schedule is an approximate guideline, not committment.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

Petr