Jess Holle wrote:
In general the same-user, same-machine stuff works great (including with Tomcat 5) if you specify

   -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote

as part of the command line.

Again - remember not everyone is using Sun JDK1.5 implementation.

My understanding is Macs don't have 1.5 yet, neither most other platforms.

This is without any special web app or such.

What I really want to see is a nice bit of code that allows you to fire up a JMX RMI connector that:

   * Finds the first free port in a range (e.g. assuming you have a
     number of slave processes, this does not apply to Tomcat as it
     does not have such logic for it AJP port, etc).
   * Support user/password and SSL
   * Does not rely on implementation internals, i.e. requiring Java 5
     is fine, but having hooks into sun.* or MX4J or whatever classes
     is no good

That's not hard to add. You actually need the first free port in the range for rmiregistry - or you can use existing rmiregistry if one is found.

You need different rmi names - that's easier.

Adding user/pass/ssl is not hard - if someone has the itch it shouldn't be a problem. javax.man.remote has all that's needed AFAIK. IF you look at jmxremote webapp that I checked in - there is no mx4j or sun code, just plain javax.

Costin

-- Jess Holle

Remy Maucherat wrote:

Dominik Drzewiecki wrote:

I couldn't get the attach to process thing to work, though (= without a port). Is it supposed to be doable ?

Neither have I (I am talking of tomcat running as Windows service). It seems that both processes : tomcat JVM and jconsole JVM have to be owned by the same user. Maybe that is the case with you? Hovewer, starting tomcat from my system account solves the problem.
For more info see:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html

<cut>
Both jconsole and the application must by executed by the same user name. The management and monitoring system uses the operating system's file permissions.
</cut>

I'm running both with the same usename on Windows, and it doesn't work. Since it's Windows and I like to be able to do stuff, I of course run with root privileges. Seems to me it would work on Unix, but is currently broken on Windows (I use XP pro SP 2), or something. Over a TCP port, it works good.

I couldn't find a comprehensive guide on all these nice system properties, while there's tons of docs on the new command line commands.

If I use the service, which runs with the SYSTEM account, it of course doesn't work any better ;)

Rémy