Dominik Drzewiecki wrote:

Hi,

Not sure what's the new policy for loading the Jmx RMI connector. jk2.properties was a hack - and now that it is removed, I was wandering if we have any "official" mechanism.

At the moment, jk2.properties is still used (we're just not shipping the

default one). It should be possible to configure JkMX via Connector attributes.

I had a small class that hooked in the connector, and I now refactored it to a webapp - nothing fancy ( it's not even "trusted" ), only loads rmiregistry and the jmx connector. I can check it in if there's no other
mechanism, it's very helpfull ( especially with JDK1.4/MX4j - in 5.0 there are the cli options )

Why don't we dump the JkMX and just settle for the facilities provided by Java 5 configurable via standard system properties: -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote alone for local JVM monioring

or
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8004
for remote machine monitoring.

I checked both myself with jconsole shipped with Java 5. It works like a charm (apart from increased CPU Load on the machine the jconsole runs).
MC4J 1.2 B5 has no problems with attaching to remote JVM either, hovewer it has some issues with mbeans provided by JVM, MC4J folks are aware of.

The bottomline is: consider dumping o.a.jk.c.JkMX (I know, I know there is number of users wishing to run tomcat on JVM <1.5)

Your post motivated me for trying jconsole, and I have to say it's really good.

As others have said, the problem with JkJMX is that it's annoying to keep it up to date. And when we had it up to date, the JMX client was then rarely up to date. So I'll let you guys decide what do do, but it's sort of obvious the need for that kind of stuff is a lot smaller than what it used to be for Tomcat 5.5.

Note: the main reason why I removed jk2.properties is because is has a very confusing name (again referring to mod_jk2); if it's really needed, then it should be renamed, or an alternate name should be allowed.

Rémy