Steffen Heil wrote:

Hi

I am reviewing the source code of the DefaultServlet.
I do not understand the following:

// slightly modified from source of "serveResource".
     ServletOutputStream ostream = null;
     PrintWriter writer = null;
     try {
       ostream = response.getOutputStream();
     } catch (IllegalStateException e) {
        if ( contentType == null || contentType.startsWith( "text" ) )
           writer = response.getWriter();
         else
           throw e;
       }
     }

Why would getOutputStream() fail?
And if that fails, why would getWriter() succeed?

Text data is also binary data, right?
I would understand that the other way around...

That's definitely why I am not interested by code cleanups done by folks who might not know all the small tricks: the risk of breaking stuff is far greater than the gain.

For this particular case, you should look into the API javadocs.

Rémy