Remy Maucherat wrote:
jean-frederic clere wrote:

Yes, but if the text files are encoded in EBCDIC for example we will send EBCDIC to the browsers.

Your change makes using the fileEncoding option extremely harmful. For straight file serving, we need to send the unchanged resource's bytes, so you need to properly encode them on your HD. This is not going to change.

but http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/default-servlet.html tells about fileEncoding:
+++
File encoding to be used when reading static resources. [platform default]
+++
My "platform default" is OSD_EBCDIC_DF04_1 I have no chances to convince the users to use UTF-8 for text files! and httpd (apache-1.3) it is serving those files correctly.

What about converting the files when reading them?

The purpose of fileEncoding is to be used when including static files using a request dispatcher, that's it.

Rémy