----- Original Message ----- From: "Remy Maucherat" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Tomcat Developers List" <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2005 3:39 AM
Subject: Re: cvs commit: jakarta-tomcat-connectors/jk/java/org/apache/jk/server JkMain.java

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
billbarker    2005/06/29 19:49:38

With a 16K bufferSize, the APR connector is no longer the clear
winner in performance.  For BC, it's currently disabled by default,
but it's easy enough to change that after some more testing.

Yes, I can see performance is better too. It's also possible that taking the APR code, and rewriting it with regular Java IO would also yield slightly better results (regular HTTP is still a little faster than APR HTTP - some VMs make the difference very small, but the VM I use for testing is definitely not the best for JNI).

Actually, on Solaris the big winner is ChannelNioSocket. It wins the performance race easily now. Too bad that NIO on Windows s*cks. I guess that JFA was right, and non-blocking sockets is the way to go.

Now that I've looked at it a lot, however, I dislike the Java AJP impl, as it's way overengineered in comparison to what it required by the current Tomcat.

Hey, I like the overengineering ;-). Yeah, Costin got a little ambitious here before deciding to just use Coyote. On the other hand, when Mladen wants you to implement unix sockets for AJP/APR, ChannelUn is going to start to look good ;-).

Rémy

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of
this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through
the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information,
such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification
numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.