From: "Christine Ho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 3:30 PM
Subject: inprocess Tomcat/apache via mod_jk

Hi,
   I have posted this email a month ago. I just wonder
if any developer on mod_jk can answer my question. I
would like to have inprocess Tomcat 5.5.9 running in
Apache 2.x if possible.

thanks again,
Christine

Hi,
   I tried to setup Tomcat 5.5.9 running inside the
apache server 2.x via the mod_jk on RHEL4. I got the
following error:
[debug] open_jvm2::jk_jni_worker.c (1055): JVM created
[emerg] get_bridge_object::jk_jni_worker.c (1097):
Can't find class
org/apache/tomcat/modules/server/JNIEndpoint

I looked at the mod_jk source codes and found out that
the mod_jk supports the TC32_BRIDGE_TYPE and
TC33_BRIDGE_TYPE. It doesnt support bridge type of
tomcat 4.x and up. Plus the tomcat 5.5.9 doesnt have
the JNIEndpoint.class.

However, it seems to me that the deprecated mod_jk2
supports bridge type of tomcat 4.x and up because it
tries to instantiate the class
org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter.class which exists in
tomcat-ajp.jar.

I really dont understand why the mod_jk supports
tomcat 3.x only whereas the deprecated mod_jk2
supports tomcat 4.x and 5.x. Can somebody please tell
me why?

Also is it easy to have mod_jk to support
TC55_BRIDGE_TYPE? Based on the mod_jk source codes
jk_jni_worker.c, I think I just need to define the
TC55_JAVA_BRIDGE_CLASS_NAME to be
org/apache/jk/apr/TomcatStarter.class and then assign
it to the btype. Is it just that simple?

Another question is what the disadvantages of running
tomcat inside the apache are. I googled and it seems
to me that not too many people try to run inprocess
tomcat inside apache. I would be interested in adding
the 5.5 bridge type to the mod_jk.

thanks,
Christine

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above as the
intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and
CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient, you may not read, copy, or
distribute this message or any attachment. If you received this communication
in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and then delete all copies of
this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent through
the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive information,
such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal identification
numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail.