With worker - it may work. However you may find mod_jk inprocess to be slower than ajp and mod_proxy ( or comparable in speed ), this is due to the way parameters are passed as strings ( i.e. lots of unoptimized char-byte conversion ).

Porting to 5.5.x shouldn't be hard - the interface between tomcat and modjk is very simple: you need to startup, i.e. make sure classpath is set and the class that executes launches tomcat correctly, and then it's a simple class that does the request/response passing.

If you do this for performance reasons - you may want to look at the code in jk2, and try to backport it. A benefit would be that the interface is even simpler - the req/response are passed in the same kind of buffer as ajp requests. AFAIK that's the only major difference. Since Remy, Mladen, etc have greatly optimized the regular tcp connectors - probably the difference on performance ( with this optimization backported ) will be small. But if you use the old style of interface - I'm sure jni will be slower (it was slower 2 years ago).

Costin

Christine Ho wrote:
Hi,
   Thanks a lot. I am really appreciated for your
reply. How about the worker MPM? My team is running
the httpd.worker on RHEL4. The current setting is:

StartServers 1
ServerLimit 1

MaxClients 64
MinSpareThreads 32
MaxSpareThreads 64
ThreadsPerChild 64
Does the inprocess Tomcat 5.5.9 work for the worker
MPM?

thanks,
Christine

--- Bill Barker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Well, inprocess doesn't really work for any MPM on
*nix systems (e.g. with
the prefork MPM, you end up with MaxChild copies of
Tomcat running :).  As a
result, there just hasn't been that much interest in
implementing (or even
back-porting) a feature that only works on Windows
and NetWare.