[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
------- Additional Comments From [EMAIL PROTECTED]  2005-09-07 21:29 -------
After we finish clarifying who's is bigger (and mine is best case average), we
could return to the bug.

1. The bug isn't invalid, so I reopen it. You can set it to WONTFIX, but not to
INVALID.

Indeed, WONTFIX looks to me like a reasonable resolution.

2. Applications working well with tomcat 4, resin or probably any other servlet
container do not work with tomcat 5.0.x or tomcat 5.5.x. Thus tomcat 5 seems to
be not compatible to the servlet spec (or be the only one compatible), if not in
the language of the specification itself, but in the intension of it. So tomcat
5 can be considered BROKEN.

Fine with me.

3. The bug applies to tomcat 5.5.x as well, because "... added back synchrnozation on write operations to the map in the 5.5
branch... " doesn't fix anything, since the read operation are the problem and
MUST be synchronized.

Well, actually, I think you should bring that up with Sun, which have made a questionable/unsafe implementation of the collection IMO.

A reasonable fix I would consider, however (showing I am not saying "no" to your bug report just for fun), is using another collection implementation, or tweaking that one, whatever works. After all, all that is missing is something like an e != e.next in HashMap.get.

But of course, we're the OSS project, so we're always the ones being bugged to death, rather than proprietary software vendors :(

Synchronizing the writes will also fix problems, since I think the underlying structure of the hashmap went bad due to a concurrency of reads. Try it before whining. Thanks.

5. The idea of removing synchronization to gain performance is absurd.
Who needs the performance? People like us, who have 2000-3000 concurrent users
on each webserver. But people who have 2000-3000 concurrent users, have also
many concurrent requests, even from the same user, so instead of gaining
performance we are gaining CRASHES. This bug killed 8 (!!!) webservers yesterday.

I have extremely few problems with this.

6. Consider the flurry in the tomcat users community, if the above points + your
 refusal to provide a three LOCs fix gonna make tomcat 5 UNUSEABLE.

Funny. The only flurry is the one you have created, and that I will have to ignore.

Rémy