I have a simple form handling servlet (FormEngineLight) that connects to a email class
(IridiumSendMail) that have been working with another host under JServ 1.0b3. I moved
to a new host with Tomcat 3.2 and also now have Tomcat 3.2 working on a local machine
for testing. Now my servlet/class combo fails to work in either location. They require
mail.jar and activation.jar, which are in the classpath (initially just in the context
lib directory, now in the locations that load at boot). My apps are compiled agains
Java 1.18 but are running on 1.2 for both local and hosted.

The stackTrace I get from FormEngineLight (emailed back using the sun.net.smtp
classes) is:

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.Hashtable.put(Hashtable.java:381)
        at IridiumSendMail.sendIt(IridiumSendMail.java)
        at FormEngineLight.writeToIridiumSendMail(FormEngineLight.java)
        at FormEngineLight.sendConfirmation(FormEngineLight.java)
        at FormEngineLight.service(FormEngineLight.java)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ServletWrapper.handleRequest(ServletWrapper.java:499)
        at org.apache.tomcat.core.ContextManager.service(ContextManager.java:559)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.http.HttpConnectionHandler.processConnection(HttpConnectionHandler.java:160)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.service.TcpConnectionThread.run(SimpleTcpEndpoint.java:338)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:479)

Both of my files are in jars and reside in the lib directory. The FormEngineLight
servlet is accessible and sends me the error shown above. Does the IridiumSendMail
file have to be listed in the web.xml file even if its not a servlet. If so, do I list
it as if it were a servlet?

Thanks,
Brad Siegfreid
Iridiumdesign