I believe there is a serious threading bug in 1.3 right now.  Java Bug
Parade bug# 4293268 may be related.  I have also had an application (not
Tomcat) hand under heavy load.  That same application seems to be working
fine on Java 1.2.2.5.  Fyi, my experiences were on Solaris 7 OS, but I
believe the problem is in HotSpot design, and may not be machine
dependent.

Bottom line: try Java 1.2.2.5

On 2/8/01, 11:13:15 AM, "Markus Ebersberger"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote regarding RE: Connection refused
under hight load: