Actually, that is exactly how it is done.  Here at
http://www.guidestar.org we have 6 2xproc dell servers each running a
webserver.  If one drops out the cisco load balancer sees this and
directs traffic to the other 5.  We use a database table and a custom
jdbc session manager to provide for session persistance.  This session
manager allows not to worry about session affinity.  Every webserver can
get at every session at anytime.  When we update code we have an ant
script that downs the service, replaces the code from a central server,
starts the service and then repeats this process for each machine in
turn.  On the backend we have 4 DB servers 2 clustered active/passive as
read only for our heavy read only usage and 2 clustered active/passive
as read write for editing and data loading.  There is a nightly job that
refreshes the R/O from the R/W right after the backups run.  The actual
DB data is stored on an EMC drive box (I have no idea what TLA (Three
Letter Acronym) is running on this thing).  I will say that being a tech
NPO is a GREAT thing, we get lots of cool toys cheap!
--Angus