Second half of this question is what is a good profiler to use with Tomcat ?

I am currently using JProfiler (
http://www.ej-technologies.com/products/jprofiler/overview.html ) which plugs & plays
really easily
with my current Tomcat install, BUT it's major problem is that it includes time that
threads spend idly listening on sockets. So
when trying to identify performance hotspots in a server app like tomcat, it becomes
very difficult to get a good view of what
percentage of time is spent where.

I have seen "JProf" ( http://starship.python.net/crew/garyp/jProf.html ) but I am
scared by the use of the terms C++ & JFC on the
intro page.

Any other suggestions - especially for something that will work well with Tomcat &
understands how to treat time spent in the IO
libs.

Thanks,

Steph