OK, right.  Thanks for the correction.  Very good work, those JCIFS guys.  Sorry for
the misinformation (and for doubting Tim).

To summarize, there are three ways to do the SSO:

   1. Use IIS to front Tomcat using the ISAPI redirector
   2. Use the JCIFS filter to do the authentication
   3. Use low-level JCIFS calls to implement the authentication yourself

#2 seems like the preferred approach, unless there is a reason you can't tie yourself
to the   2.3 servlet spec.  It looks like someone recently added an NtlmServlet class
to JCIFS, which would provide a fourth method to achieve SSO (and wouldn't require a
2.3 servlet container).

In all cases, there is no "password" being passed from the browser to the web server.
Also, you'll have to figure out the best way to do authorization.  You could
definitely use JNDI to query the ActiveDirectory for authorization information.  But
does JCIFS provide anything that might help authorization?  For example, does it pass
a list of groups the user is in as a request attribute?  That'd be nice (a quick look
at the docs didn't reveal anything).

Allen