In the original JServ, you could use the loadbalancer to solve a problem
like that.
You could make a second servlet engine active with the new settings and
configure the loadbalancer to have that instance receives all new
sessions.  Any active session would still be routed to the 'old' engine.
When after a while the 'old' sessions die out, you can take the 'old'
servlet engine down and configure it for the next cycle.

I don't know if any of this is implemented in the loadbalancer for
tomcat, but I hope to have given you some idea on how to proceed your
search for a solution.

Luc Vanlerberghe