Yes, I don't even have a CLASSPATH environment
variable set up on my machine.  When I say CLASSPATH,
I mean the union of TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib and the app
WEB-INF/classes and WEB-INF/lib, not an environment
var.

Yes, I believe that's right - the problem is with this
one Web app.

"...Definitely NOT using common/lib, shared/lib, and
other shared repositories.  Disk space is cheap.  Your
time diagnosing classloader issues related to the
common repositories is expensive..." - so true.

Even for JDBC JARs?

I've been waffling on this issue for a long time, and
your well-reasoned argument has just swayed me.  I'll
try it and see if that's it.  Thanks - MOD