I don't know what's going on with your compile question, but your code is
wrong.  It should look like this:

Take a close look at the ! (bang).

    <%!
      int globalCounter = 0;
    %>

     This page has been visited: <%= ++globalCounter %> times.

     <%!
       int localCounter = 0;
     %>
     NOW!  This counter increases its value: <%= ++localCounter %>

If you set a local variable to 0 everytime you run the code then it's always
going to be 0.  So it's never going to increment.  Give localCounter class
scope, just like you gave globalCounter class scope and it will increment.

Rick