moreover because Servlet may be pooled
in manyseparate instance,
each servlet may have it's own counter...

under low load it is not apparent,
but if you load the server with many concurent accesss
you will see that many different countes
will be incremented separately...

I've read somewhere that servlet should not have static
variable (it could be a solution)...
in fact in clustered servlet engine, there may be many
independent JavaVM that may not share even the class variables.

the solution is to use a singleton class through
a middleware.

one such way is to use a singleton Entity EJB !
sledge hammer to crack a nut! 8>>>

welcome to the strange country of potential multi-threading,
clustering and pooling !

if someone can explain me how to do it
rigourously but much more simply...