Dear People,

I am totally confused on how to proceed with the user authentication in
my web application. I will try to state my problem briefly:

I have a web application that has FORM security. I need to create a way
for users to create an account that gives them access to the web
application. Optimally, the user/password/role info should be stored in
a database.

How can this be done as closely as possible to the servlet/jsp
specification? Is there a package written for this somewhere? I found
something about JDBC real in the server.xml file, is it what I seek?

Note that I also need this to be integrated with the web engine (Apache
preferably).

I have seen that app servers like weblogic´s have a user authentication
scheme exactly like the one I seek but I want a non-proprietary, low
cost solution.

Any direction would be much appreciatted since I am really not knowing
what to do regarding this matter.

Thanks in advance,

Christian Rauh