> I was thinking about methods to improve my so called "development
> enviroment", and I am curious to learn how others do when they work.
>
> Until now I use a handcrafted "build.xml" which by using ant builds the
> jars, classes, creates WEB-INF and all that stuff. Later I use the normal
> catalina-scripts to launch and shutdown tomcat4.
> While it works, it is a slow and ineffective process I guess.

That sounds pretty typical.  If you're using ant to build your
product, you do have to give it instructions :)

The degree of which your source layout reflects the code structure of
your application can make a difference in how easy/difficult it is to
build.  If your application has subcomponents, the source layout
should reflect that sort of division.

If you'd like to see more concrete examples, you can always get a copy
of Tomcat's source code, and see how it's put together.

For the related question:

> How do you setup a server so that if you had 3 developers...each one
> has their own instance of tomcat running at the same time....??

This depends on your development environment.  If all of your
developers have tomcat running on the same host, you have a few

 - if you've got an apache front end, give each developer their own
   virtual host, and their own tomcat port.

 - if everyone runs tomcat standalone, give each their own set of
   ports.

 - (Standalone again) give each developer their own IP address for
   their tomcat instance.  (Caveat: I've never set it up this way,
   but it looks like you can accomplish this by having each developer
   give the DN for their individual IP in the Host element of
   server.xml.  Comments from anyone who's set it up this way?)

In general, you can break network traffic up two way: IP addresses and
ports.  That's what you have to work with.

--
Steve