Have you never run into a problem when multiple developers are working on
the same server, and someone crashes the server, overwrites someone else's
code, breaks something that someone else was relying on, or restarts the
server when someone was in the middle of testing a long running batch job?

I certainly have!

It's easy to ensure people in a small team have the same version.  Put up a
poster with "Tomcat 4.1.18" or something written on it, or if they are
distributed around the world, email them weekly with what the approved
development environment is.  If they can't be trusted, replace them with
people who can ;-).

By all means have a single test server shared by everyone, but make sure
people only upload code that has at least been locally module tested.  That
way everyone won't tread on each others toes all the time, and if the test
server goes wrong, others can continue working in their local environments.

Andy