Marius, I think such a feature request should not be addressed to Tomcat, but to the JSP specification itself. Remember that Tomcat is being used as the reference implementation of servlet/JSP technologies, and so it should stick to the specification.

Basically, as I see it, your request means a special treatment for a subset of directives in a few specific cases. I think it would imply that tags could be marked as not generating any output, so when in a single JSP line there were only such marked tags and leading / trailing spaces among them, the line itself could be omited from the output. Such a change should be made from the specification.

Regards,
Rodrigo

Marius Scurtescu wrote:

JSP is a templating language which is using a meta
language: the JSP constructs.

The new line is in the JSP indeed, but is it part
of the meta language or part of the literal output?
I would argue that these new lines are part of the
meta language and that they should not be output.
You put them there so the meta language you use is
readable.

See how FreeMarker, another templating language,
is dealing with this issue:
http://freemarker.sourceforge.net/docs/dgui_misc_whitespace.html#dgui_misc_whitespace_stripping

You are not asking the directive to scan anything, the page compiler could consider white space and newlines after a directive as part of that directive.

Marius